Saturday, June 10, 2006

Cornell Reunion Run


It was another rainy, cold (41 degrees!) June Saturday morning here in Interlaken and we all got up super early so we could leave the house by 6:15 to get down to Ithaca for the 7:30am Reunion Run at Cornell. It was my 10th Reunion and I figured this would be a fun way to get in my weekend run.

There were about 80 people who braved the elements for this event and, surprisingly, it turned out to be fun. The 5-mile course was fairly scenic, looping through the Plantations and ending up with a lap around the track at Schoellkopf Field, home to Cornell's football, field hockey and men's lacrosse teams.

During the race I ran by the Class of 1901 Nut Tree Collection but didn't see any nuts. But I did run by several Tulip Poplar trees in bloom. I'd always thought that the tulip-shaped leaves were what gave the tree its name but evidently it's the orange and yellow tulip-like flowers which I had never seen but which I thought were quite beautiful.

What I found most amazing is that I didn't have to walk at all in this race. For 5 miles! Up some steep hills! I don't know how I managed it but I have to think that my usual 3-mile run involving the big uphill must have something to do with it.

And I finished in 58 minutes and 30 seconds, faster (by 38 seconds) than the 5-mile Lowell Spinners race from two weeks ago.

Larsson, Nora and I are pictured above after the end of the race. We were all wet and freezing, Larsson's eyes are closed, and there are obvious raindrops in the picture but I think we all had fun.